Solar eclipses as the most important astrological factor
I have been discussing the paramount importance of (solar) eclipses for several years in the protected premium area, and I use the publication of Bill Meridian's excellent book "The predictive power of eclipse paths" as an opportunity to offer you an overview article on that topic in the free area. To simplify the subject I will focus on solar eclipses, especially total ones, as they are the most powerful factor in astrology. I am referring to my own insights as well as those of Bill Meridian, Ann Parker, Chris Carolan, Claudia von Schierstedt, Kaye Shinker & Tim Bost. Terminology according to Wikipedia (image sources: Wikipedia, NASA):
As seen from the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, and the Moon fully or partially covers the Sun as viewed from a location on Earth. This can only happen during a new moon, when the Sun and Moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth. [...]
A total eclipse occurs when the dark silhouette of the Moon completely obscures the intensely bright disk of the Sun, allowing the much fainter solar corona to be visible. During any one eclipse, totality only occurs at best in a narrow track on the surface of the Earth.
An annular eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the outline of the Moon.
A partial eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are not exactly in line and the Moon only partially obscures the Sun. This phenomenon can usually be seen from a large part of the Earth outside of the track of an annular or total eclipse. However, some eclipses can only be seen as a partial eclipse, because the umbra passes above the Earth's polar regions and never intersects the Earth's surface.
Total solar eclipses are the most powerful astrological factor, only occurring once every 1-3 years: 1999 - 2001, 2002, 2003 - 2006 - 2008, 2009, 2010 - 2012 - 2015 (Link). There are numerous ways to interpret a solar eclipse. The eclipses 1999 & 2009 stand out, they are the 2 key eclipses since 1991. Below please find the 7 factors to analyze eclipses:
(1) type: A total solar eclipse is the most important, the annular eclipse is quite important, too. Moon eclipses & partial solar eclipses are not important.
(2) duration: E.g. the 7/22/09 eclipse was the longest in the 21st century with 409 seconds, suggesting it will set the course for a very long time.
(3) gamma: This number informs us about the strength of an eclipse (position within the Saros cycle lasting about ~1270 years, consisting of 68-82 eclipses): the closer to 0, the more central the eclipse and the more important it is (see also the research of Chris Carolan). The 7/22/09 eclipse had a gamma of 0.07 and thus was the most powerful in the 21st century (Link). This is the 2nd reason why this eclipse is supposed to set the path for decades).
(4) sign of the zodiac: The 8/11/1999 eclipse was in the sign Leo which rules gold. Exactly in August 1999 the 20-year bear market in gold was over and a bull market of 11 years (so far) began. Silver had its bear market lows in late 2001 with the annular eclipse 12/14/01. Oil already bottomed in 1998 after the 2/26/98 being located at 8° Pisces. The sign Pisces is ruled by Jupiter & Neptune, the two signifiers of inflation & thus the inflation markets (= commodities). Interestingly the inflation-adjusted high in commodities in early 1980 came after the eclipse on the same date of the year (2/26/1979). Eclipses do often repeat after 19 years near the same degree, this is the so-called metonic cycle.
(5) aspects: The very important 8/11/1999 eclipse was embedded in a Grand Cross, the most difficult of all constellations. In contrast, the 7/22/09 had a friendly trine to Uranus, a sign of positive surprises (surprising economic boom around that time).
(6) degree: The 7/22/09 eclipse was in the 30th degree of Cancer. The 30th (final) degree in every sign is a degree of fate. With 4 planets in the sign Cancer the US is a Cancer country, and it appears the fate of the US is sealed. 18-19° Leo, the degree of the 8/11/1999 eclipse, is working through today.
(7) eclipse path: The umbra tells us where on the planet a solar eclipse is total. Small or medium-sized countries this is a rare and thus a very important event, e.g. the last total eclipse in Switzerland was in 1724, the next one will be in 2081.
How to use eclipses in forecasting?
(1) natal eclipse
(2) date of an eclipse
(3) radical charts activated by a solar eclipse
(4) progressions & transits of eclipse horoscopes
(5) eclipse paths
(6) historical connections
(7) AstroCartoGraphy (planetary lines)
1. Natal eclipse
Bill Meridian defines the concept of the birth eclipse in his book, which is rather complex and not really important for the financial markets, so for anyone interested I advise you to read the book. The secondary progression as well as the secondary regression (the latter one is often forgotten) are very important, e.g. when the natal eclipse is 31 before or after birth, then the age of 31 will be very important.
2. Date of an eclipse
An old rule of interpretation is that projects started in the week before an eclipse will produce unexpected (often unfavorable) results and that the eclipse unveils previously unknown information. In contrast, the days after an eclipse are very powerful, especially after a key eclipse. Personal example: I had the idea to start to edit this market letter within days after the 8/11/1999 eclipse which was conjunct my Leo Mars in the 2nd house (money). This was the most important decision in my professional life.
Exactly on 8/11/1999, in the hours before the eclipse at 11.00 a.m. CET/S, Gigabell was first traded on the Neuer Markt in Frankfurt, Germany. This company later became the first German default of the New Economy (9/15/00). The conditions were incredible: accounting software was present but had not been unwrapped yet... there was nothing that deserved the name ‘accounting'.
Interestingly, it's mainly the lunar eclipses that have worked as reversal signatures in the past decades, give or take some trading days. Example: the low 2010 in the stock indices on July 1 came shortly after the 6/26/10 lunar eclipse. The next lunar eclipses are 12/21/2010 & 6/15/2011.
Then there is the crash window as defined by Steve Puetz:
Puetz studied the eight greatest crashes in financial history and discovered that all eight crashes occurred 6 days before to 3 days after a full moon that occurred within 6 weeks of a solar eclipse. The odds of that being a coincidence, according to Puetz calculation, is less than 1 in 127,000.
Key eclipses turn secular trends in the financial markets lasting 10 years and longer, with a window of +/- several months:
- 7/11/1991 (reason for significance: gamma close to zero): biggest equity bear market 1987-98 ends in late 1990, silver & wheat drop to the lowest level since the 1970s in late 1990, oil is at a 10-year high in late 1190, in early 1911 the euro is at a 17-year high
- 8/11/1999 (reason for significance: Grand Cross - see chart below): 1999 gold & wheat terminate a 20-year bear market, 1-3/2000 inflation-adjusted all-time highs of Western stock indices, 1/2000 bonds at a 10-year low, late 1998 oil at a 13-year low
- 7/22/2009 (reason for significance: gamma close to zero & length of eclipse): in late 2008/ early 2009 US bonds formed their all-time high so far, during the same time frame most other markets (stocks, oil, precious metals) were on multi-year lows
3. Points in the radical chart activated by an eclipse
It is important when an eclipse aspects certain points in a radical chart: birth of a person, formation of a company or of a state, a security is first traded, and so on. The conjunction (0°) is by far the most powerful aspect, the opposition (180°) is less powerful, the square (90°) is even weaker and should only used with a tight orb of 1-2° (if at all).
A conjunction (maybe other aspects, too) to the sun and the axes AC/DC & MC/IC is decisive because it is always conjunct the ecliptic (latitude: 0°), thus we have an occultation (same longitude & latitude). A normal conjunction (0°) only means that the longitude is the same, the latitude is usually different. This occultation is much stronger than a simple occultation: every new moon is a conjunction of sun & moon, but only the solar eclipse is an occultation.
4. Progressions & transits to eclipse horoscopes
Claudia von Schierstedt calls the degree of an eclipse a ‚graffiti'. This degree is important (in the case of key eclipses even for many years) when activated by transits. Example: since 1999 Mars has aspected the graffiti of the 8/11/1999 solar eclipse 22 times. With just one exception a rally of 15-58% was triggered in crude oil, 20 out of 21 times at least +17%.
Progressions have something to say, too. In the secondary progressed eclipse horoscope 8/11/1999 there are only 3 direction changes of planets in the time frame 2000-2030:
- 3/23/2007 Pluto: A few weeks before the biggest real estate bubble of all time burst. In 2007 the biggest bear market in equities & the biggest economic depression since the 1930s started.
- 4/4/2013 Jupiter: This is one of the myriads of factors aligning in late 2012/ early 2013, making this the key period of the 21st century.
- 3/16/2018 Saturn: This appears to be the high of global martial activity in the 21st century. War fighting on the planet should rise to the highest level since WW2, presumably accompanied by the inflation-adjusted high in the 21st century.
The previous key eclipse 7/11/1991 agrees, because in this horoscope the only direction change in secondary progression between 2012 and 2042 will take place on 9/23/2018. Between 1991 & 2012 there was only one direction change: namely on 9/20/2008 (default planet Pluto). Just a few days before the Lehman collapse triggered the biggest financial crisis in history and the most devastating crash.
5. Eclipse path
Eclipse paths are the main topic of Bill Meridian's book. Bill, who has been living in Vienna, Austria, for several years, is mainly referring to his teacher Charles Jayne (New York) and also to Lorne Edward Johndro (California), a fellow of the legendary W.D. Gann. Jayne could predict many key events of WW2 (e.g. war objectives, winner of a battle) with his methods. The mastermind behind Jayne & Johndro was the German astrologer Edmund Herbert Troinski who also invented tertiary directions (Bill Meridian incorrectly calls him Edward Troinski).
The eclipse path of a solar eclipse energizes certain parts of the world and they become the political-economic center. The umbra of the key eclipse 8/11/1999 was close to Brussels, Frankfurt, London, Paris, Munich, Vienna and other metro poles. So it energized Europe and marked the introduction of the euro, a unique and fatal historical event. Germany as the headquarters of the European Central Bank (ECB) was hit by the umbra of a total eclipse for the first time in 1999 (Link), exactly in the year of the introduction of the euro 1999. This explains why from 2000 on the euro could outdistance all other major currencies for many years.
The eclipse 10/3/2005 was the only one in the period 2001-20 that touched Europe, Spain to be precise. Around 2005 the biggest real estate bubble in history developed, with the focus on Spain: at times more than half of the European building machinery was in this country which has less than 10% of the EU population (some 500 million citizens).
However, the next key solar eclipse July 21/22, 2009 turned the trend. This extremely powerful eclipse energized India, China & other Asian economies (marginally also Japan) and thus the global energy went from Europe to Asia. So the focus of global interest will be on Asia for many years. Thus the strategic investment position LONG the euro held for several years was exited in 2008. It was pretty clear that the secular uptrend of Europe & the European currency would be terminated by the upcoming eclipse. The key is to understand: boom countries & regions have a hard currency, countries & regions in decline a soft currency. The Chinese renminbi is pegged to the US$ and can therefore not be interpreted. However, the chart of euro & Indian rupee is quite revealing: EUR/INR topped some weeks after the 7/22/09 and has been in free fall for over a year (source: netdania.com).
6. Historical connections
Eclipses are connected through 2 cycles of 18-19 years (Saros/ Metonic) as well as through the triple cycle of 54-55 years, which aligns with the Kondratieff cycle. Bill gives a lot of very interesting examples in his book.
7. AstroCartoGraphy (planetary lines)
Ann Parker has conducted a lot of research on the planetary lines (Link):
A second book, Earthquake Prediction, published by Aries Press in 1986, marked the beginning of an ongoing research into the astrological causes of earth phenomena - including earthquakes, volcanic activity, hurricanes, tornadoes, and phenomena entering the atmosphere such as fireballs and meteors. In this second book she studied more than 375 earthquake charts and a similar number of random charts. Two factors proved to be in hard aspect to triggering Eclipses - the planet Mars and the Geodetic Angles of the earthquake charts. In the earthquake charts, both factors were more than 82 per cent -- 33 per cent greater than for the random charts.
Earthquakes in the 1990s, published by Astrological Profiles in 1990, and EARTHQUAKES, published in 1994, explored new techniques for studying earth phenomena and offered predictions through the year 2001. In both of these books she used AstroCartoGraphy maps of eclipses to show that certain key planets are always angular over of the sites of earthquakes and other earth phenomena. Using 500 eclipses and 110 earthquakes, she found that Pluto was angular in 84% of the eclipse charts at the event site; Mars (64%) and Uranus (47%). An AstroCartoGraphy map of the world represents a 24-hour period with planets at the MC, IC, Ascendant or Descendant expressed in lines across the map. For instance, all MC-IC lines are vertical, all Ascendant-Descendant lines are curved. Predictions can be made by locating where Pluto, Mars and Uranus are angular and where these lines cross each other. Often a major event will occur between two lines - for example, between Pluto (AS) and Mars (IC).
For earth quakes the Neptune line is important, too. In general, 80-90% of the quakes are near the Pacific Ring of Fire. So the intersection of Neptune line and Pacific Ring of Fire is most dangerous. The 2/27/2010 Chile quake was the 7th strongest in newer history with a magnitude of 8.8, the catastrophe happened near the intersection of 3 lines:
1. Pacific Ring of Fire
2. eclipse path of the annular eclipse 7/11/10. The umbra was almost exclusively over the sea, it barely touched mainland
3. Neptune/IC line of the 1/15/10 eclipse
The first 4 years after the bursting of a bubble follow a typical pattern, which can also be applied to the Euro(pe) bubble until Q2/2008:
- Elliott wave A 2008-10: The first 2 years after a bubble peak are sharply lower, this is the crash.
- Elliott wave B 2010-11: After the crash expect a recovery for about a year.
- Elliott wave C 2011-12: Finally there is a down wave for about 1 year, which is rather moderate (no crash).
This aligns with my eclipse analysis as the next important eclipse is the annual solar eclipse 5/20/2012. The umbra is connecting USA & Japan (Link), which is the only total eclipse between 2001 & 2016 for both countries. In 2012 the crisis will shift to the true epicenter: USA & Japan. Japan has a total government debt of 230% in terms of GDP and government expenses are more than 100% higher than revenues, this nation is a zombie. But in the US expenses will soon be twice as large as revenues, too.
Typically government deficits are stated in terms of GDP, a very clever (soft) statistical manipulation to make the numbers look artificially small. However, in reality this number is hardly relevant, the primary number to watch is how much higher are expenses in terms of revenues. A Japanese budget deficit of 9% doesn't sound too scary, does it? However, stating that expenses are more than 100% higher than revenue will raise red flags in everyone with basic knowledge of math.
The umbra of solar eclipses determines where & when most of the global transformation takes place, the what (type of transformation) is determined by fundamental analysis. Fundamental imbalances may persist for years and even decades, but the party is definitely over when the eclipse energy comes in
Bill Meridian writes that the 8/21/2017 eclipse belongs to the Saros series 145 (Link), which has partly ended major wars:
- The first eclipse in the Saros cycle on 1/4/1639 (number -39 ended the conflict between the Ottoman empire and Persia since 1514. Afterwards the region was comparably peaceful for centuries (the Middle East should continue to be the epicenter of war on the planet).
- The 5/26/1873 eclipse (number -26) coincided with a big crash emanating from the Vienna Stock Exchange ("Gründerzeitkrach") within 2 weeks, triggering the biggest economic depression of the 19th century.
- The 7/9/1945 eclipse (number -22) ended the most bloody war in history.
- The 8/11/1999 eclipse (number -19) marked the end of the biggest stock market mania in history and the global stock markets set their all-time high in real terms. This eclipse also marked the transition of power from the US to Europe.
- eclipse 8/21/2017 (number -18): The end of a major war between mid-2017 and mid-2018 is cross-confirmed by numerous factors. Interestingly, the umbra of this eclipse passes only over one country: the US. So the United States and the Middle East will the center of the coming major war.